“The act of sewing is a process of emotional repair.” – Louise Bourgeois
In keeping with the current stay-at-home orders that so many of us are under, the photochallenge this week should be very easy to accomplish around your home. We’re going to look for inspiration in textiles. To be clear, I am using a very broad definition of textiles to include: fabric, yarn, thread and/or anything made with those three elements.
There are lots of ways to approach the challenge this week. Most obvious might be a close-up of detail and texture in an item such as a quilt, afghan, sweater or embroidery. But I encourage you to think beyond the obvious and think of the unique properties of textiles, such as the drape (how a fabric hangs) or the translucency of sheer fabrics. Or you could take a photo of the creation of a textile through sewing, weaving, knitting, embroidery, etc. Or you could take a photo of someone using or wearing a textile. (DIY face masks are particularly topical at the moment, but scarves, sweaters, wraps and other clothing are all potential ideas.) The choice is up to you.
Don’t forget to pay particular attention to the lighting as you take your photo since textiles tend to have a lot of texture that can be enhanced with side-lighting.
To recap this week’s challenge:
- Take a photo with textiles as the main subject.
- Post your photo during the week of Sunday, April 5 and Saturday, April 11.
- Please remember to comment on at least FIVE photo submissions this week by answering the question “why?” in your comments. In other words, “why do I like (or not like) this photo?” or “why did this photo catch my eye?” Thank you!
The friendly community guidelines are pretty simple:
- Take a new photo for the current weekly theme, not something from your back catalog or someone else’s image.
- Post your photo each week to our active communities on Facebook or Flickr (or both). Tag the photo: #2020photochallenge #photochallenge #tempusaura
- Don’t leave home without your camera. Participating in the 2020 Trevor Carpenter Photo Challenge is fun and easy.