July Challenge

A melancholy angle of light

So it’s been a month since we finished the April and May Challenges, back-to-back. I kinda felt bored with my photography in June. Not only did I not get much done, I didn’t get out and shoot very much.

Now, I know that I need to take a break from the monthly challenges, occasionally. Every other month is the best pattern. I get a month to rest and develop the next exciting challenge, then off we go! Shooting all month long then becomes exciting and fun. Seeing what you’re all doing only challenges me even more. So far we’ve shot daily challenges and weekly challenges. We’ve even done one in the middle. I’d say that I actually prefer the daily challenges. It gets me out and shooting on a regular basis. Making the effort every day isn’t really that hard. When we’ve shot weekly, I find that I procrastinate until the end of the week, and I come up with lower quality work.

So, we’re going to shoot daily, again. Don’t like it? Too bad! (he, he)

For July, I want you to go out there and shoot all the lighting fixtures that you can find. Shoot desk lamps and floor lamps. Shoot street lights and head lights. Shoot flood lamps and brake lights.

I’m looking for you to capture the actual light. The fixture is also important, but don’t forget the light it produces. I’d prefer for the light to be lit, but this isn’t a requirement. I’m not interested in what the light is illuminating. That’s not the focus of this challenge. I want us all to grow in our ability to manipulate how we capture the actual light being cast. I’ll follow up this post pointing you in the direction of some sound wisdom about how to do just this.

Below are a few ideas to get you started. I found them with a little search work on Flickr.

We’ll shoot one a day, all month long, for July, 2008. I want new photographs. Make sure to tag your submissions correctly…

• “photochallenge”
  • “julychallenge2008”
  • “photochallenge.org”

20% OFF your Corporate 360 Virtual Tours during the Construction Holidays20% de rabais sur les tours virtuels 360 pour la période des vacances de la construction

0 Replies to “July Challenge”

1. Pingback: PhotoChallenge.org » Hello - An Introduction

2. Pingback: latoga photography » Blog Archive » Photo: Late Night Practice

3. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge Video

4. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 31: Light Management System

5. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 30: I Don’t Want To Pretend

6. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 29: The Curse

7. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 28: Jeanty At Jack’s

8. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 27: Another Day Wasted

9. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 26: Camplight

10. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 25: Change The Route

11. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 23: Mills Lobby

12. Pingback: PhotoChallenge.org » July Challenge « Williamo’s Blog.

13. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 22: Glorb

14. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 21: Freaks

15. Pingback: Finding a Good Photography Project : The Photographer Blog

16. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 20: If

17. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 19: American Bourbon Collection

18. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 18: It’s A Secret

19. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 17: Pseudo Rustic

20. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 16:

21. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 15: Variable Related Functions

22. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 14: All Things Come To An End

23. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 13: Turbine

24. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 12: A Porch Light

25. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 11: Red Rivers

26. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 10: Saucerish

27. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 9: Curlyloops

28. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 7: What’s Inside Never Dies

29. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 6: Mentally Shut Off

30. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 5: Two Days At Least

31. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 4: A Living Room Light

32. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » July Challenge, Day 3: No One Else

33. skye

Oops…how’d it get to be July already? 🙂

Love the idea, Trevor, and I’m looking forward to the tips you’ll be sharing!

34. trevor

@Hitesh, welcome back to the PhotoChallenge! Your welcome, and it is truly my pleasure.

@Julie, Glad you caught the first few shots coming in. I look forward to seeing your work soon.

@Susheel, Glad you’re going to join us!

35. Julie

Ack. How did I miss this? I’ve had several posts “burp” from my RSS reader lately. Good thing I get an RSS of the Flickr stream. Better get busy, eh?

36. Hitesh Sawlani

I’ve been neglecting photochallenge a bit I must admit.. last time I participated was colour theory I think! I’ll join in for July, after a month of not having a dslr (it broke down) I’m getting it back tomorrow and I can’t wait to be trigger happy again!

However, times have changed and shooting daily will not bring out the best in me as I cannot keep shooting the same 4 types of lighting around me. I will however seek to produce 31 images by the end of the month and participate in this manner. Looking forward to seeing everyone else’s contribution.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Trevor you’re doing a great job leading this community!

37. trevor

@Faerie
    @Ju5t1n
    Welcome and thanks for joining us! I’m glad to see even more people joining the Photo Challenges.

@Chica
    I generally alternate the challenges, one month on, one month off. April and May were back to back because I wanted to switch up the pattern.

38. Chica

I was wondering why there wasn’t one for June, glad to see July is full. I’ll be participating this time around too if I’m not to busy. 🙂

39. JU5T1N

Cool – I’m pretty psyched to get rolling with another PhotoChallenge. It’s amazing how much adding a little structure (like these challenges) really helps me get out and actually shoot (and improve my photography).

Thanks for facilitating these!
    – Justin

40. Faerie Queene

I am so glad I stumbled onto this site from stumbleupon.com. I am definitely going to try the July challenge. I have always wanted to get into photography and I have been dabbling a bit lately. Now that I have a topic in mind, I am looking forward to what I come up with. Thanks so much!

41. trevor

@c3l5o,

Yes, pretty much. Make sure you include all the tags from the post above, though.

The goal isn’t being posted on the blog though. The goal is that you grow, a lot, from committing to the daily challenge. As the challenge nears the end of the month, you’ll first run out of ideas. Then you’ll emerge at the end with some really great creative thinking. That’s when you know you’ve really grown.

That’s how it always happens to me.

42. c3l5o

So let me make this straight! I join the group, upload the pictures, add one of those tags to the picture, and share it in the group pool.

It’s like this right? Then you select a few of them by searching the tags and post them here in the blog.

Am I right?

43. Pingback: Reposting: The July Challenge is Coming! « Lisette Arencibia Photography

44. Pingback: Jeremy Brooks » Having So Much Fun

45. Pingback: The July Challenge is Coming!

46. trevor

@latoga, It’s not a requirement to use Flickr for the Challenges. You really don’t even have to post your work at all. The real goal of PhotoChallenge.org is to help you grow as a photographer. If you participated and never even told anyone, I’m sure you’d still grow.

My encouragement to you, however, is to take every opportunity to share your work, and be available to interact with others who do likewise. This will give you the greatest chance for interaction and enhanced growth. Having the whole PhotoChallenge community interact with you and your work is really valuable for us all. This makes our little community even larger and stronger.

So, must you use Flickr? No. But that’s where the rest of us are at, so at least consider it. By posting at your own blog, you’ll of course be sharing your work with your existing readers, and you can comment on the blog posts here, pointing my readers to your work. That would help. However, there are many who follow the challenges on Flickr only. They would “stumble” upon your work there and that helps grow the community.

I hope that helps.

47. latoga

Trevor, I’m a bit unclear on the guidelines for participating. Do you have to upload photos to Flickr to join in the fun? If not, how do we let you know about our contributions; will Posting links to my blog suffice? Sounds like an interesting subject for the month…now to see if I can do it every day.